Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Moth Lurks Near

This is a little story I wrote a while ago...

As I arrived back at my humble abode following a late night of grass, gin, and clouds of cigarette smoke, I noticed that the light in my room had been left on. I walked up to my bedroom. It was on all right, but there wasn't a lot of light to be had in the room. I looked up and saw the source of the problem: A small moth was perched upside-down on the glass covering of my light fixture. The moth's shadow was cast in such a way that it blacked out most of the room. Not having enough energy (or balance for that matter) to reach for it, I sunk into my bed and slithered beneath the covers. Glancing back up at the moth, I saw it wriggling around a little; maybe to get a nicer view? The moth took off, turning itself upright and flying toward me. As it came, it started to look bigger than it had from so far away... a lot bigger. The moth stood higher than my closet door, with antennas as long as my arms and wings that spread almost the entire length of my room. It looked at me for a moment, then spoke: "There isn't enough light in this gruesome abode! You must turn up the generator!".
"There isn't a generator to be found here", I said politely, "This house runs on electricity from power lines."
"Power lines?", It said, "Blasphemy! I've seen electricity shoot through the sky before, and it doesn't form lines, it forms bolts. You must turn up the generator at once!"
"I don't have one!", I said, beginning to panic. The moth was a lot bigger than I was, and its anger was really beginning to scare me.
"Blasphemy!". As it said this, it turned on its heel and walked out of the room. I got up to follow. It proceeded through the hallway, down the stairs and around the corner into the kitchen, turning on every light switch as it went. "This will not do", it muttered in its frustration, "This will not do!".
It beat me to the kitchen and proceeded to open the fridge. To my utmost surprise, a fly of relatively half his size and stature stumbled out.
"It's mighty cold in there", it shivered as it spoke.
"Pardon my asking, but what in gods name are you doing in my house?!", I asked, now frustrated with the appearance of another large bug.
"Is that really any of your business?", asked the moth.
"It's certainly no business of his", the fly answered, not allowing me to speak.
"Well, it is my house, and any business that is done within my house is my business, isn't it?"
"Certainly not!" the moth replied, annoyed with my inability to understand him. "You opened the door and let us in, and haven't said a thing to us since! If you were a proper host, then it would be safe to say that everything here is your business, but you haven't offered us anything, and you refuse to turn up the lights!"
"The lights can't be turned up!", I shouted in reply. "You know what? Get out of my house, go on, get out!". As I said this, I ran to the screen door at the front and opened it, letting a breath of wind in. "Get out you two!", I yelled angrily at the two bugs. As I did this, both creatures shrank away and retreated to the inside of the light fixture in my kitchen.


I thought to myself: "Whatever, I'll worry about it in the morning."...

No comments: